Simple Pleasures

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Stuffed Peppers

I remember Grandma making these many summer days and I love them. I always thought they would be difficult to make so I never tired. I kept coming across different recipes and decided why not. I pretty much followed these directions to the T for this one.

Stuffed Peppers
2 medium bell peppers
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon basil
1-15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 pound lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups rice, cooked
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

1. Cut peppers in half lengthwise. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, drop the peppers in and boil for 5-6 minutes.

2.  In a small bowl, mix tomato sauce, basil and sugar and set aside.

3. Brown meat and onion in a large skillet; drain. Stir in 1/2 the tomato sauce, 1/2 cup of the rice ( I just put in about half the rice) and the salt.

4. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes; stir in cheese. Spoon meat mixture into peppers and place into skillet.

5. Pour remaining tomato sauce around peppers; cover and simmer. Top with additional cheese, if desired. Serve on top of remaining rice.

Now for something I thought would take a hour to make I had this on the table in just over 30 min. and it tasted like it took a lot longer. I would recommend browning the meat while you mix the tomato sauce up to save time!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home